The third consultation on a political declaration on explosive weapons was held 3-5 March 2021.
INEW delivered several statements, available below:
Part A (Preamble)
Part B (Operative Section)
We also broadcast short video commentary on proceedings:
- On the resumption of the process and what our network wants to see in a political declaration
- On the need to accurately and honestly reflect in the text the gravity & severity of the use of explosive weapons in populated areas
- On Day 1’s proceedings, what states focused on and what we hope Day 2 will bring
- On how the political declaration relates to International Humanitarian Law
- On why we need more clarity and boldness in Section 3 of the political declaration
- On Day 2’s proceedings and state comments on the legal and operational sections of the draft text
- On why we need to commit to data collection and victim assistance
- And a summary of how the three days of consultations went & what’s next
INEW also prepared a written response to the January 2021 draft text, available here.
Written submissions will be available here on Ireland’s Department of Foreign Affairs website.